Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Japanese Kamikaze... Ramen Noodles?

Considering this blog had always referenced Japan, it is likely about time I actually do a post from this country! So here I am... Typing to you direct from Tokyo!

I can't say Tokyo was ever a specific destination on my bucket list until I started really becoming adventurous with food. While we have only been here a couple days in total, we have already experienced some delicious food. I attribute all amazing food finds to my husband... But also the very cool blogging duo on - eatyourkimchi.com - just saying you should check out their videos on YouTube... They are hilarious and fabulous!

Today we tried to chill out in the morning - the girls got up and started breakfast at 3:58am! I quickly quashed that venture and gave them both a small dose of melatonin to get them back to sleep. We are still dealing with minor amounts of jet lag to say the least.

We eventually headed off to Shinjuku with the specific intent of going to a top rated ramen restaurant we had selected called - Fuunji Ramen. We had primed the kids in the etiquette of the restaurant process and laid out the expectations very clearly. The food was spectacular and the experience felt very "local". With only 10 seats at the bar, we slurped our noodles and drank the amazing broth with haste and intent. The girls had their "we are total whities and don't know how to eat with chopsticks" chopsticks on hand and powered through a massive bowl of soup. I was very proud of their effort.

We followed this experience with a wander through a beautiful shopping district and then went to the Shinjuku Goyen park. The girls really appreciated the chance to run loose and we caught the tail end of the Cherry blossoms. The park was lovely. A side bonus was that we walked past a pet store... With the sweetest little BEAGLE! He was tiny, and while I think he was being touted as a puppy, he was a tiny older beagle with the sweetest face. We still have 6 days in Tokyo, and I think I can sway Jason towards a Japanese beagle rescue dog. The kids are already sold. Stay tuned to hear about a new addition to the family. 🤣

We followed up the park by attempting to find an American donut joint - Camden Blue Star donuts. There were some trepidatious moments with Google maps and fatigue and certain family members losing their filters, but we all know it is the journey and not the destination. The donuts were so posh and fairly pricey so we shared two with the kids - classic glaze and cinnamon. Sorry Tim Hortons, I may never eat a donut from you again. These were so light and delicious, unbelievable. This is not a family of sweet tooths - so having the kids say the donuts were one of the highlights of the day definitely says something.

We rounded it the day by hitting the Totoro store by the Skytree (right next to our Airbnb). Never have I wanted to but almost every object in a store before. What an unbelievable shop to any fans of studio Ghibli. So much cuteness.

Other observations from the day...
1. This city is the cleanest city I have ever seen.
2. Regardless of the number of people, it is the quietest place I have ever heard. Our condo is dead silent between 7pm and 9am.
3. All the men wear black suits and white shirts.
4. Japanese babies might be the cutest babies I have ever seen.
5. All the things in Japan are ridiculously cute. Like mind blowing cute.
6. Even the "crappy" food at 7-11 is exponentially more delicious then most top end fast food joints in Canada.

Ok. I better wrap this up, I have been accused of wordiness. I did fail too mention our day one in Tokyo which was in fact a day at Disney Sea. I endeavour to get back to that before the week is out, but in the meantime I can hopefully figure out how to attach my photos via mobile.

Until next time - arigato gosai mashita!

No comments:

Post a Comment