Sunday, September 2, 2012

Pina Coladas and the Long and Winding Road...

Of course, the two items in the title are completely unaffiliated... I just wanted to point out to all of you before you start reading, that I am drinking a Pina Colada and typing at the same time!

Fresh Pineapple
Coconut Cream
Bacardi Light Rum
Pineapple Juice
Lots of Ice

Blended

One Straw
Big Glass...

Off and running. 

Anyway, onto the more important part of the blog... sharing our adventure driving the Road to Hana. All I can say is WOW. It truly is beautiful, and Oh So NARROW! 

Red Sand Beach in Hana
Beautiful Backdrop




 In all honesty, there is no way to truly describe the experience and have anyone understand just how lush and beautiful it is. There are painted trees, and hanging vines, and blooming flowers, and crashing ocean, and gorgeous vistas, and hidden waterfalls, and jagged lava rock, and a black sand beach, and a red sand beach, and winding, twisting single lane highway. Really amazing.


Having the windows open and tasting the salt in the air, and feeling the coolness of the rainforest air, it was absolutely stunning.

Oh, there was also a place we stopped for banana bread... really, they said it was the best banana bread on the island, and they were not lying. Yum. Aunty Sandy's. Yum. Might have been the best banana bread ever.

Julie and the trusty steed
Well, other than posting some photos, this is an anticlimactic blog in my perspective. If you don't like driving, or narrow roads... this is not the route for you. If you have a whiny 3,4,5,6 year old... find something to either knock them out, or entertain them. This was an exercise in patience for Jason and Calla and I... there was significant whining almost within the first 20 minutes of the drive. It kept going for nearly 5 hours. Yikes.

The Backdrop to the Boob Shot
Besides the beauty, the trip was mostly uneventful  (like no lost keys or anything). We used the Maui Revealed book to decide where and when to stop... it did not steer us wrong. One short climb that I did alone revealed a girl having her photos taken nude from atop a metal fence overlooking a beautiful town (note photo Left). I guess I surprised them a little... I tried to not notice and simultaneously tell them not to stop on my behalf... but I guess she wasn't an exhibitionist. Jason was a little bummed he was not the first one up the trail on that route.
Eden Anyone?















There was also the black sand beach and lava tube where I kept seeing Sea Turtles all over the place.... and NO ONE else was seeing them. Jason was convincing complete strangers I was hallucinating turtles,  but FINALLY on one the bluffs with several other people listening to my rantings... "LOOK, WHERE THE FOAM IS... UNDER WATER... NEAR THE ROCKS... HE IS ABOUT TO COME UP... OH MY GOD... RIGHT THERE" well, finally, my hallucinations were corroborated and I got to walk away the victor of our marital spat. Yeah, that is about the extent of our marital spats at this point of the vacation!!

Well, that is all for now, hope you are having as much fun as I am!! 
Calla taking the path less taken
Jason and Cecilia having a break in the shade












No comments:

Post a Comment